I know many of us plan units around a topic, theme, or studying a particular country so today I wanted to share with you a few resources to teach about Nicaragua in your classroom! Just a quick note, there are so many amazing options out there, I tried to gather as many as I could, but if there’s something I’m missing, please feel free to drop a comment to help other teachers as they are planning!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Books and Readers Based in Nicaragua
I found these recommended in a Facebook group for Spanish teachers. It’s always a good idea to preview a book before adding it to your library with your specific classroom and learners in mind!
- Cultura en el mundo hispanohablante (A2-B1): nueva edición
- Como vuela la pelota
- Pintando con las manos
Websites and Video Resources to Teach about Nicaragua
As always, I’d recommend checking these before showing them to your students. Just because it’s a good fit for one classroom doesn’t mean it’s a perfect fit everywhere! I’ve also tried to list where they can be found now, but we know the internet is always changing on us, so hopefully if they’re not on that host any longer it might be found through a quick Google!
- Pedir café con señas en Nicaragua (Facebook)
- This Cafe Is Staffed Entirely By Deaf People (Huffpost)
- Nicaragua’s $50bn canal plan sinks after six years (Youtube)
- Carlos Mejía Godoy & Los de Palacaguina
- Lake Nicaragua’s Sharks
- Lago Cocibolca: El espejo olvidado de Nicaragua (youtube)
- Madrileños por el mundo: Nicaragua (2015) (Youtube)
- 🇳🇮 Qué ver en MANAGUA la capital de Nicaragua (Youtube)
- Listening Activity No. 2: Telling stories in Spanish – La Mocuana (scroll down on the page)
- Most Dangerous Ways To School | NICARAGUA (Youtube)
Here’s a few more resources you could use in your unit(s) on Nicaragua!
- Virtual Field Trip (Spanish & English)
- Country Report Project (Printable | Digital)
- Readings and activities in Spanish & English
Resources to Teach about Nicaragua
I hope these are helpful for you as you plan your unit on Nicaragua! Like I mentioned in the beginning, I know there is so much to cover, so if you have a video, book, or another resource you love including, please feel free to share in a comment below so I can add it for others to see!