Each year, teachers ready their wishlists. And usually, I’m advocating for waiting. Wait and see what you actually need, wait and see what your school supplies, wait and see what’s in your classroom (first year teachers!), wait and see what your student council or parent teacher association gives you, if they happen to give you anything. This year is a little different, and I know I feel more prepared when I put together a list. However, PLEASE ASK your school or your admin before purchasing these yourself. You don’t know what they’ll approve if you don’t ask! So, let’s look at some 2020 Teacher Essentials that could go on your list this year!
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
- Page protectors – these are a great way to make mini whiteboards for your whole class. Get enough for each student and then you don’t have to worry about sharing! Of course, if you are just with one class or one group of students, you could get mini whiteboards for each and just have them keep them at their station all year.
- Masks – I’ve also seen face shields recommended, but check with your district policy, talk to your doctor, or do some research, because they’re not approved everywhere.
- Hand Sanitizer – I would like this by the gallon, please? ?I’ve also heard really good things about Dermakleen as a soap that is anti-bacterial, but not super drying!
- Disinfecting Wipes – these are a must every year, but when you might be asked to wipe down desks between every class period? Absolute must.
- Pencils – because once you give them out, they’re gone for good (wait, that’s just like normal, isn’t it?) This box is 144 golf pencils (half size) WITH erasers.
- Subscriptions to your favorite tech sites – this might be a tricky thing to put on your list, but it would certainly be a great way for a friend or classroom parent to support your classroom! Some of my personal favorites that are Señor Wooly, Boom Cards, and GimKit.
- E-novels or Digital Readers for reading without sharing materials between students, or just more books for your classroom library so you don’t have to share!
- Power Strips – more of these will allow your students to remain spread out while charging
- Voice amplifier or microphone system – PLEASE ask your district if they’d purchase this or have something that works with your school’s system first! If they say no, this one has decent reviews and isn’t an arm & a leg.