There are tons of options when it comes to activities to celebrate Día de los Muertos in your Spanish Class, but this year more than ever it’s nice to know what our options are to study this celebration digitally! Check out this list of resources and ideas for digital Day of the Dead Activities for Spanish class!
Websites to Explore Day of the Dead
- Interactive 360 image of an altar (worksheets are linked on the page too!)
- This page from Google Arts & Culture
- Or explore these collections also from Google Arts & Culture
- This collection of resources from the Smithsonian
- Explore ofrendas in 3D
I LOVE using Google Maps with culture in my classroom. I really enjoy that students get to connect culture and geography while they learn and explore. Students navigate the map, read descriptions, look at pictures, and watch embedded videos. As they do so, they fill out the graphic organizer, or answer comprehension questions! Click here to check it out!
Digital Day of the Dead Activities
Leslie Roteck shared this activity she created for her students to create an altar inspired by the Bitmoji classroom craze! Click here to grab a copy of it to try out with your students!
She also mentioned that towards the end of the presentation she placed a bunch of transparent images you could use for decorating your virtual classroom! How awesome is that?
Kelsey BingBrown shared this activity for students to create a digital altar activity! She says it was inspired by the “create your own locker” digital activity some teachers shared during back to school time. It’s short and sweet and can be done in one class period for your online students. Check it out here! I also love that she included a spot to remind students to SHARE their finished project to submit it to you!
Content + Culture
One of the things that I have struggled with in the past is needing to stay on pace with my required content, but wanting to spend time exploring the culture! This set of Boom Cards does both!
This set of Boom Cards is perfect for exploring culture while completing a review of common Spanish 1 topics. Students click on an element of the ofrenda, learn about the element’s connection to Día de los Muertos celebrations in a short reading, then complete a series of practice activities to earn that element of the ofrenda! As they earn the pieces, they become colored in, so it’s easy for students to track how far they’ve gone in the review challenge. Download the set here!
Digital Stations for Día de los Muertos
Looking for a more in-depth exploration of the holiday and its celebration? Check out these station activities! Students explore a variety of activities to learn about the history, traditions, and practices that comprise Día de los Muertos.
• Halloween vs. Día de los Muertos Comparison Sorting Activity
• Chumba la Cachumba- Canción
• Las Calaveras y Las Calacas Reading and Glyph
• Design a Calavera Activity and Classroom Display
• Un Cortometraje
• Las Ofrendas – Matching Activity
• Historia de Día de los Muertos
Alternate Activity Ideas
Do you need an alternative assignment for Día de los Muertos? Sometimes students need an another option instead of participating in the activities with the rest of the class.
- Research Poster Project – 40 templates with names of famous Hispanics filled in, perfect for lots of choices! Students learn about and recognize contributions made by Hispanic and Latino Americans to the United States and world. Click here for the digital version!
- A digital country report project – Have students create an interactive map to explore a country, or complete a research project using Google Slides!
- Have them choose a different holiday or celebration to study!