Hispanic Heritage Month is coming and you know you want to do something to celebrate it and recognize it with your students. Sometimes your curriculum and pacing guide doesn’t allow for a ton of time, so in this video we are going to talk about a one day lesson plan you can use to recognize Hispanic Heritage Month without deviating too far from a required curriculum timeline.
Watch the Video
I have used this lesson with 6th-12th grade students, in exploratory, Spanish 1, and Spanish 2 classes. I have never tried a virtual field trip with elementary students, but if you teach upper elementary and have students who are very comfortable with technology, you might try it with your upper el ed students. This fit well in a 45-50 minute class period, but if your classes are much longer, you might like these activities instead!
Hispanic Heritage Month Lesson Plan for Spanish Class
- Start of class routine – click here to learn more! (10-15 minutes)
- Share link to the map for them to explore – learn more about virtual field trips here (5-8 minutes)
- Pass out graphic organizer or comprehension questions to let them gather the information – (25-30 minutes)
- Fast finisher! Choose from Geoguessr, a list of YouTube videos, or another activity to emphasize Hispanic Heritage Month
Take a Closer Look at the Virtual Field Trip
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Puerto Rico
Plus, introduce your students to 10 well-known Hispanics!
Fast Finisher Options
As students finish the virtual field trip at their own pace, it’s nice to have a fast finisher. Check out these options:
Need more ideas?
Check out these posts for more ways to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with your Spanish students!
- Hispanic Heritage Month Activities and Lesson Plans for Spanish Class
- Digital Hispanic Heritage Month Activities for Spanish Class
- Hispanic Heritage Month School Wide Celebrations